Getting Help, FAQ
COMP102/112: Getting Help and the FAQTopics: Forum, FAQ, Getting online help, Videos
Lab Tutors and Help DeskYour first source for help with the course should be the tutors in your weekly labs (see the Weekly Timetable), and the online tutor (see below). The online tutor is not required to be avaialble all the times, so you might not receive the response in time.
Asking for help from online tutorTo ask for help from the tutors on a problem with your code, submit your request on the comp102 help system (put your question in the box, attach your file, and click "Create Ticket") or email your question to email@example.com and attach your code to the email.
Make sure that:
- You have attached your .java files (not a screenshot or photo, not the .class or .ctxt or the project.bluej files)
- You have explained what the problem is and what you have tried to do to solve it so far.
Note1: We don't have the resources to do a general check of your code - you have to check it yourself by running your code and checking that it does all the things required in the assignment specification.
Note2: We don't provide help with the Challenge questions.
FAQWe plan to build up a list of answers to common problems that we see repeatedly:
- Differences between the text book and using the UI class
- Instructions for installing the software to do your assignments at home.
- Problems using BlueJ at home
- Methods that return booleans
- Dealing with Null Pointer Exceptions
- How to run demo if your demo folder disappeared
- Can you run the demo at home?
- Video recordings of the lectures are available through Nuku.
- Tutorial videos covering a variety of topics.
Study BuddyWe allow students to work in pairs as long as you add a comment in your source code who you worked with.
Other sources of help:
- The 1st year Engineering/CompSci workshop sessions: Mon, Wed, 6:00-8:00 in AM 104 or on zoom on Thur. See Weekly Timetable
- Māori hub and student support.
- Pasifika hub and student support.
- VUW Student Learning
- Web page of many VUW student support services
- Student Counselling.
- Helpful booklets on many study topics