Assignments & Tutorials
Assignment and tutorial questions
There are 8 assignments plus Assignment Zero! Assignments will normally be due by midnight Wednesday
in weeks 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 and 12 and together contribute 25% of your final mark.
Assignment Zero is optional, it's for you to try out using the submission system before midnight Feb 24th.
- Submit any pdf file to the online assignment system successfully, before 11:59pm Wed 24th Feb, and you will have completed Assignment 0. It is worth zero marks! Just prepare a one or two-page pdf file of anything you like, and submit it to the system by the due date.
- Assignment 1, together with the tutorial questions. Assignment 1 answers are due online before 11:59pm Weds 3rd March. Tutorial answers are not needed thanks (they are for your personal study only).
- Assignment 2, together with the tutorial questions. Assignment 2 answers are due online before 11:59pm Weds 10th March.
- Assignment 3 with the hint fixed, together with the tutorial questions. Assignment 3 answers are due online before 11:59pm Weds 24th March.
- Assignment 4, together with the tutorial questions. Assignment 4 answers are due online before 11:59pm Weds 31st March.
Here is where you submit your assignments. The web left bar also has a Submission button that does the same job. It handles lab reports, too.
- Your assignment must be a single pdf file, hopefully with multiple pages, ending with YourUsername.pdf. For example, my username is coxd1, so I have to name my submission something like "Assignment0.coxd1.pdf" .
- The ...username.pdf bit of your filename can be ALL UPPER CASE, or all lower case, but we've not been able to allow for all case mixes. We advise that you check your submission by clicking on it after it is uploaded, and see if what you get back is what you uploaded. Once you have checked it, click on the "Complete Submission" button.
- You can make a pdf file by printing any image file to pdf instead of a printer. You can scan written work using one of the scanners in CyberCommons or the Library, or using your mobile phone camera together with an app like Dropbox. Or you can put all of your images into a Word document and print to a single pdf file from there.
- Submit only your assignment answers, not tutorial answers.
- Our policy in ENGR121 on showing working in assignments is that it is always a good idea to show working. Some questions will explicitly ask you to show working, and in that case you will need to show your working to get full marks. If working is not asked for, you can get full marks for a correct answer even if there is no working shown. An incorrect answer with no working shown cannot attract any marks; this is the danger of not showing your working.
Assignment Answers and Marking
Assignment answers are posted here shortly after the submission time, together with a marking schedule to help you understand where you gained marks and where you need to do further work.
Your marked assignments and feedback will be here.
- Assignments are crucial to your learning in mathematics, and help you do well in Tests and Exam.
- Assignments are marked to provide you with feedback on how you are doing. The marks also count towards a maximum possible 25% towards your final grade.
- You can miss two assignments without penalty on the 25% that they attract towards the final grade. There will be 8 assignments this trimester.
- Late assignments are not marked. The model answers will be posted shortly after the submission deadline. If your assignment is late, you are invited to mark it yourself to see how you did, and you need to start on the next assignment.
Tutorials are on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as shown below, starting in week 2. The relevant assignment will be available online before then, and tutorial questions are attached to each assignment. You can go to any tutorial, no matter which one you signed up for. You can go to more than one tutorial if you like.
You do not submit your tutorial work. It is aimed at helping you do the assignments, which you do submit.
Tutorial Times and Rooms:
TUTORIALS BEGIN IN WEEK 2
Extra online tutorial week 2: Monday 4.10pm, Zoom link: https://vuw.zoom.us/my/engr121?pwd=OEtsQnBORzdlRmNMM0YvbGdjSUo2Zz09
Tutorial answers will be posted here on the Monday before the corresponding assignment is due. This is because the tutorial questions mirror the assignment questions, and can be helpful if you get stuck with the assignment.