SWEN 433 has four internal assignments:
Assignment 4 - Essay (due:
The essay is worth 35% of your final grade for the course.
Each student will submit an essay on a question related to the paper selected for your presentation. Writing the essays will help you to understand the state-of-the-art of research on Web Information Systems, including research trends, research methods, and research challenges. The essay must be submitted electronically in PDF format. Each student will receive an individual mark for her/his essay.
For example you can title your essay as 'A survey of existing approaches to the X problem', where X is a similar problem studied by your paper you presented.
Your essay should include a brief literature review. You will use the selected paper and other papers published in the last 5 years as references. You will need to discuss the contributions of the papers, the limitations of the proposed approaches in the papers, and the opportunities it raises for future work.
Your essay should be 5-7 pages long. Make sure that you cite sources appropriately, both from the course material and from your own readings.
8 October (three days after the due date) and essays more than seven days late may not be marked, unless prior agreement with the course coordinator has been made at least 24 hours in advance with respect to the corresponding due date. Approval for late submission will only be given in exceptional circumstances.
Assignment 1- Paper ReportsPaper Reports are worth 10% of your final grade for the course. Paper Reports due at the beginning of every lecture. Details can be found at Paper Reports.
Assignment 2 - Presentation (as scheduled)The presentation is worth 20% of your final grade for the course. The presentation will involve a team of two or three students reading and discussing a paper selected from a list of academic articles provided. Each team will give a presentation on their paper (selected from Presentation Readings) at a scheduled time (TBA).
- Each team will submit their slides of the presentation on the day of the presentation scheduled to the submission system. Each team member must fairly contribute to the presentation and will receive an individual mark for her/his presentation.
- The presentation of two people will take minimal 30 minutes followed by a discussion. The presentation of three people will take minimal 40 minutes followed by a discussion.
- Your presentation should include:
- What problem does the research paper study?
- Why is it important to do the research?
- How is the problem solved? What methods are used?
- How good is the solution? How is the solution evaluated?
- How does the paper contribute to the research area?
Assignment 3: Discussion and Peer ReviewAssignment 3 is worth 5% of your final grade for the course.
- A group discussion summary of each group discussion (submit as a group, and receive individual marks). There will be three group discussions.
- Submit the hard copy of summary after each group discussion.
- A peer review report of each of the group presentations using a given template. The number of presentations TBD.
- Submit after each presentation via the submission system (due: midnight of the day of each presentation)
- Only used as a reference of the marking of the presentation