NB! This page is considerably out of date so some links may be broken.
Good Points to Follow to Make Posters
- Tools and Size
- Use Scribus unless you really like PowerPoint
- Bigger is better.
- A1 page measures 595 x 841 mm or 23.41 x 33.11 inches
- A0 page measures 841 x 1189 mm or 33.11 x 46.81 inches
- Make sure that the posters content flows. Try to make the poster suggest the flow of reading.
- Make sure that you have more pictures and a lot less text. Much-much less than you are thinking.
- Remember pictures tell a 1000 words!
- Explain "what the problem is", "what the hell are you talking about" and "why it is important".
- Introduction is the most important bit. After reading the first paragraph, people should be able to decide whether it is worth reading the rest of your poster.
- Practice "talking people through your poster".
- If you need to print from an image file (such as png) try to keep the dpi at 96.
- Three schools at Victoria offer colour poster printing (this information might be slightly out of date!):
- School of Architecture. Arthur.Mahon@vuw.ac.nz
- School of Psychology (Psyc). The printer is located in the Easterfield building. Ask at the school reception. It costs $50 to print A0. Email Sam.Akhir@vuw.ac.nz or Al.Abenoja@vuw.ac.nz
- School of Earth Sciences (SES). The printer is called Plotter and it costs $50 to print A0 or $40 to print A1. To use Plotter speak to the admin people in SES (check out their office on the 3rd floor of Cotton - in the "wooden" part). This printer might be out of action as of 2011 - please confirm and let Alex know if it is still working/not working. * Laminating
- To laminate your poster see Clear Film Laminating: http://www.mapshop.co.nz/ .
Samples of PostersLook outside the Elvis postgraduates offices (CO239- CO243) for physical samples.
- Spreadsheet and Corpus Analysis Visualisation - DanielBallinger's Sexy Black Beast MCS 2002 Honours poster session
- The Fox - A Tool for Java Object Graph Analysis - AlexPotanin ACM 2002 student research competition poster
- Oppositional Play (JPG) - PippinBarr's dynamic and exciting poster presented at Children Learning in a Digital World 2005.
Links on Posters
- ACM Crossroads Magazine - Research Posters 101
- Advice on designing scientific posters
- Creating Effective Poster Presentations :: An Effective Poster
Links on Presentations
Presentations given to Students
- Posters_2009.pptx: How to Make Posters Presentation to 400 Level Students in 2009
- Posters_NZCSRSC2010.pptx: How to Make Posters Presentation to NZCSRSC2010 Attendees
- GoodPoster.pdf: GoodPoster.pdf
- ECS_Gilrs_on_Presentations_and_PhD_Proposal.pptx: How to Give a Presentation (for your PhD Proposal) in 2011
- ECS_Gilrs_on_Presentations_and_PhD_Proposal.pdf: How to Give a Presentation (for your PhD Proposal) in 2011 (PDF Version)
- Generic_Ownership_OOPSLA_2006.ppt: Sample Talk by Alex from a long time ago...