This person can no longer be contacted through the School of Engineering and Computer Science at Victoria University of Wellington
My research focuses on scientific computing on the cloud. I am actively involved in the development of scientific gateways which eliminate the barriers of using cloud computing for large-scale scientific analyses. A key area of my research is related to provisioning cloud resources. I have worked on cost-effective techniques for acquiring resources and developed an autonomic tool profiling service to dynamically determine the resource requirements of workloads. Another area of my research investigates network tomography as a method of evaluating the network performance of cloud instances. I am currently working to combine these capabilities to provide a provisioning service that utilizes real-time cost information, tool profiles, and network performance, to acquire and manage cloud resources.
- R. Chard, K. Bubendorfer, B. Ng, Network health and e-science in commercial clouds, Future Generation Computing Systems, 2015.
- R. Chard, R. K. Madduri, N. T. Karonis, K. Chard, K. L. Duffin, C. E. Ordonez, T. D. Uram, J. Fleischauer, I. T. Foster, M. E. Papka, and J. Winans, Scalable pCT image reconstruction delivered as a cloud service,IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing. 2014.
- R. Madduri, K. Chard, R. Chard, L. Lacinski, A. Rodriguez, D. Sulakhe, D. Kelly, U. Dave, I. Foster The Globus Galaxies Platform: Delivering Science Gateways as a Service, Concurrency and Computation, Practice and Experience (CCPE), vol 27, issue 16, pp 4344–4360, 2015.
- R. Madduri, T. Malik, M. Paterno, A. Rodriguez, S. Sehrish, J. Kowalkowski, T. D. Uram, R. Chard, K. Heitmann, S. Cholia, S. Habib PDACS: A Portal for Data Analysis Services for Cosmological SimulationsComputing in Science and Engineering, vol 17, num 5, pp 18-26, 2015.
- F. Hendrix, K. Bubendorfer, R. Chard, Reputation Systems: A Survey and Taxonomy, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 75, pp 184-197, 2014.
- R. Chard, K. Chard, B. Ng, K. Bubendorfer, A. Rodriguez, R. Madduri, I. Foster An Automated Tool Profiling Service for the Cloud Submitted to 16th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2016.
- R. Chard, K. Chard, K. Bubendorfer, L. Lacinski, R. Madduri, I. Foster Cost-Aware Cloud Provisioning 11th IEEE International Conference on eScience (eScience), pp 136-144, 2015.
- R. Chard, K. Chard, K. Bubendorfer, L. Lacinski, R. Madduri, I. Foster Cost-Aware Elastic Cloud Provisioning for Scientific Workloads IEEE 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), pp 971-974, 2015.
- R. Chard, K. Bubendorfer, B. Ng, Network health and e-science in public clouds, IEEE 10th International Conference on e-Science, pp 309 - 316, 2014.
- R. Chard, S. Sehrish, A. Rodriguez, R. Madduri, T. D. Uram, M. Paterno, K. Heitmann, S. Cholia, J. Kowalkowski, S. Habib, PDACS: a portal for data analysis services for cosmological simulations Proceedings of the 9th Gateway Computing Environments Workshop, 30-33, 2014
- R. Chard, K. Bubendorfer, K. Chard, Experiences in the design and implementation of a Social Cloud for Volunteer Computing, 2012 IEEE 8th International Conference on e-Science, pp 1-8.