BE, ME (AUH), PhD (RMIT)
My main research area is Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Big Data, particularly in
- Evolutionary Computation and Learning (Genetic Programming,Particle Swarm Optimisation, Differential Evolution),
- Feature Selection and Big Dimensionality Reduction,
- Intelligent and Evolutionary Computer Vision and Image Analysis,
- Symbolic Regression and Mathematical Modelling
- Evolutionary Clustering and Visualisation
- Evolutionary Scheduling and Combinatorial Optimisation, and
- (Evolutionary) Deep Learning and Transfer Learning.
I am the Head of the Evolutionary Computation Research Group
and a member of the Artificial Intelligence Group
My personal web page
has more details on my research, teaching and professional activities.
For a list of my recent publications, please see the Publications Database
Alternatively, consult my list of selected refereed publications
Research Projects and PhD Scholarships
I am currently working on a number of Research Projects
. If you would like to discuss any of these projects with me, please send me an email or drop in (Cotton Building, room 355).
If you want to be a research assistant working on these projects, please contact me.
See also a list of current and past research students
and their thesis.
I received my BE and ME respectively in 1989 and 1992 from China and my PhD in Computer Science from RMIT Univerity, Australia in 2000. Since 2000, I have been working as a lecturer then senior lecturer, Associate Professor/Reader, and now Professor of Computer Science at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
I have published over 500 academic papers in refereed international journals and conferences. I have been serving as an associated editor or editorial board member for over ten international journals including IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Emergent Topics in Computational Intelligence, the Evolutionary Computation Journal, Applied Soft Computing, and Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, and as a reviewer of over 30 international journals. I have also been serving as a chair for over 30 international conferences in the areas of evolutionary computation and artificial intelligence including IEEE WCCI/CEC, GECCO, PAKDD, PRICAI, EvoStar and SEAL. I have been serving as a steering committee member and a program committee member for over 100 international conferences including all major conferences in evolutionary computation. Since 2007, I have been listed as one of the top five world genetic programming researchers by the GP bibliography.
Since 2005, I have been awarded over four million dollars of research grants from NZ Government funding such as four Marsden Fund (NSF), FRST/MSI/MBIE, NSC/SfTI, and BuidIT, and international reputed grants including ARC (Australia) and NSFC (China), and Industry including Huawei NZ.
I am a Fellow of Royal Society of New Zealand, a Fellow of IEEE, and have been a Panel member of the Marsden Fund (NZ Government Funding). I am also a member of ACM. I am currently chairing the IEEE CIS Intelligent Systems and Applications Technical Committee, and the immediate Past Chair for the IEEE CIS Emergent Technologies Technical Committee and the Evolutionary Computation Technical Committee, and a member of the IEEE CIS Award Committee. I am a vice-chair of the IEEE CIS Task Force on Evolutionary Feature Selection and Construction, a vice-chair of the Task Force on Evolutionary Computer Vision and Image Processing, and the founding chair of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Chapter in New Zealand. I am also a committee member of the IEEE NZ Central Section.
I am currently the Associate Dean (Research and Innovation) for the Faculty of Engineering, the Chair of the Research Committee of the Faculty and the School of Engineering and Computer Science, and the Representative of the Faculty of Engineering on the University Scholarships Committee. I am also heading the interdisciplinary Evolutionary Computation Research Group
at the University.
I am a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Complexica
, leading provider of Artificial Intelligence software for optimising sales & marketing activities, ranging from promotional planning
, pricing, and product mix optimisation
, through to sales force automation, CRM
, and multi-channel quoting and order processing
In addition, I am also:
- Fellow, Royal Society of New Zealand
- Fellow, IEEE
- Chair, IEEE CIS Intelligent Systems Applications Technical Committee
- Immediate Past Chair, IEEE CIS Emergent Technologies Technical Committee
- Immediate Past Chair, IEEE CIS Evolutionary Computation Technical Committee
- Chair, IEEE NZ Chapter on Computational Intelligence
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Member of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
- Member of IEEE Computer Society
- Member of IEEE Computational Intelligence Society
- Member of IEEE Systems Man and Cybernetics Society
- Member of the International Society of Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (ACM SIGEVO group)