Postgraduate Coordination TeamOur postgraduate prospectus for Engineering and Computer Science gives information about the graduate programme and many courses have their own specific homepages. You are welcome to approach one of the following people:
Diana Siwiak - Postgraduate Coordinator
Tony McLoughlin - Postgraduate Administrator
Patricia Stein - Faculty Thesis Advisor
Pawel Dmochowski - PhD Seminar Chair
James Noble - Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research)
Any enquiries about our postgraduate programmes can be directed to:
Winston Seah - for information regarding our research-based thesis programmes (ME, MSc (Part 2), and PhD), or
Karsten Lundqvist - for information regarding our MSwDev, MEP, and matters related to the ICT Graduate School.
Thesis Information and Support ServicesThe following links contain more specific information relevant to postgraduate research:
Postgrad Life @ ECSShut Up & Write: ECS Group Writing Sessions
Mondays 9:30-11:30 in Maru Room 101 and via Zoom.
- Arrive early : We begin our first writing set at the top of the hour; each set occurs every 25 minutes, with 5 minute breaks in between.
- Come when you can : Since each writing set happens every half an hour, you can (quietly) come late or leave early.
- Have a plan of attack : Which section will you focus on? What is your completion goal for the session? What is your word count goal?
- Go offline : You can’t unplug, but you can disconnect from the internet and put your phone away during each set.
- Stay as long as you need : If you’ve hit a writing groove as the group disbands, keep on writing!
- Chat with us on Slack Enter your ecs, vuw, myvuw, or your preferred email.
- Hang out on Discord Enter your new username or a pre-existing email account.
- Find us on Facebook
- We have Instagram, too
- Watch PG events on Zoom
- Chat in our Zoom Channel (search for ecspostgrad on your VUW Zoom account)
- WeChat ID: ECSPostgrad
- Join the Postgraduate Student Association for free to be included in events and professional training.
- Join the VUW Student Association for free to learn about lots of great opportunities
- Find a student club that fits your hobbies, interests, and beliefs.
Helpful NotesDo you know what to do in an emergency? Please see the following emergency resources Get Ready, Get Prepared, Police Emergency, and Fire Emergency for more information. You can dial 111 on any mobile phone for emergencies and 105 on any mobile phone for non-emergencies. Do you need to register for an ECS account? Please visit the Account Registration. This will give you access to the ECS computer systems and ECS email service. Reset your password if you cannot access your computer systems or email account. You can also forward your ECS email to your preferred email address. Do you know how to access your
@myvuw.ac.nzemail addresses? Please see the following links to assist you with your staff email, your student email, staff password reset, and student password reset. You can forward your student email and your staff email to your preferred email address. Contact the Postgraduate Administrator to acquire your staff ID and temporary password. All postgraduate students can use their
@ecs.vuw.ac.nzto register for a full Zoom account here: https://vuw.zoom.us/signin. Do you know how to properly report a bug or request a job? Our wonderful tech team have put together an extremely useful tech note on how to expediently acquire what you request or address what you report. Please take the time to read this over! Need to get on the VUW wifi? Check out: WiFi Access. If your ITS Student ID isn't working, reset it: Password Reset ECS has an internal repository service, called GitLab. Use your ECS account to access your personal repository and share information with your supervisor. You can access tutorial to using it on this page. Trying to access University resources from off campus? Set up the VUW VPN. Log in with your STAFF credentials and follow the instructions on how to install software appropriate for your operating system. Would you like assistance with your literature review or are you seeking out new venues to publish? Contact the ECS Subject Librarian, Nicola Atkinson. Are you a new PhD student? Check out Resources & Information for New Doctoral Candidates Would you (or your supervisors) prefer you write your thesis in LaTeX? We've created a basic VUW Thesis Template for you. Are you feeling stressed and need to have a chat with someone? ‘1737, need to talk?’ is New Zealand’s new national mental health & addictions helpline number. It's free to call or text. If you would like to participate in some of the free Wellbeing events around campus, check out Student Services (even if you're a postgraduate student!). Need assistance sorting out your Finances? Please read the following useful guide and meet with a Financial Advisor for free. Are you to the point of getting your thesis bound and submitted to the library? One of the preferred vendors for binding, The Bookbindery, is up in Auckland. Are you nearing the end of your PhD? You are required to provide a 36 Month Report outlining your plan for completion. Did you know that you have a dedicated support person who is just like you - a student? You can contact PGSA Representative for the Faculty of Engineering, Miniruwani Samakaroon, if you need to talk to someone who isn't a staff member.