[CatSIG] FW: Te Puna / OCLC workflows

Staincliffe, Paul Paul.Staincliffe at agresearch.co.nz
Fri Aug 24 08:16:33 NZST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilberthorpe, Brian [mailto:brian.gilberthorpe at ccc.govt.nz]
Sent: Friday, 24 August 2007 8:15 a.m.
To: Staincliffe, Paul
Subject: FW: [CatSIG] Te Puna / OCLC workflows

We have been working with both Te Puna and OCLC since 13 July. There is
certainly a larger number of records (sometimes better quality) and a
greater range of formats on OCLC. As yet there are not many Australian
titles on OCLC but I understand that will change because NLA has signed
a similar agreement to NLNZ and more Aus records will be loaded. Te Puna
Cataloging client is a little easier to use than OCLC's - you have to be
more careful creating and checking for files on OCLC.
In the six weeks since 13 July inhouse we have imported 223 records from
Te Puna and 197 from OCLC.
Our partners, Peter Pal in Brisbane, who do most of our cataloguing are
now using OCLC almost exclusively. In the same period they imported 276
records from Te Puna and 961 from OCLC.

Brian J Gilberthorpe

Database Development and Management Librarian Christchurch City
Libraries PO Box 1466
Christchurch             Phone: +64-3-941-7856
NEW  ZEALAND            Fax: +64-3-941-7075
Library Web pages:  http://library.christchurch.org.nz

When going round a spinney of larch trees
  Tracking Something, be sure it isn't your
        own footprints you are following