[CatSIG] RDA Update

Chris Todd Chris.Todd at natlib.govt.nz
Fri Jun 5 16:42:37 NZST 2009

Here are a few notes about RDA-related activities that might be of interest.

1. The following message from Marjorie Bloss, the RDA Project Manager, was posted on RDA-L a couple of days ago:

The RDA text is still being finalized.  Tom Delsey remains as the editor through June 2009.  The RDA Secretary is working on a document that identifies a number of differences between AACR2 and RDA.  Once this has been reviewed by the JSC, it will be posted to the JSC website.  We'll make sure we announce its availability on both AutoCat and RDA-L .

2. The process of selecting libraries to participate in the evaluation of RDA is complete (or almost complete). The following information was sent to the Autocat list

The US National Libraries RDA Test Steering Committee has notified
all test applicants of whether they were selected to participate in
the formal test project. Our intention was to email all applicants,
selected or not, because we really appreciate everyone's interest.
There were more than 90 applications and we could only select 21 to
participate as formal test partners. Our public announcement is
delayed until next Monday, June 1, to allow one selected participant
time to confirm that it can participate.

3. The following message from the Australian Committee on Cataloguing was also received recently

Dear Colleagues,

The Australian Committee on Cataloguing (ACOC) is planning to hold a major seminar on the implementation of Resource Description and Access (RDA) during 2010.  As a consequence we have decided not to hold a seminar in 2009. We hope that this early notice will enable you to plan to attend the seminar in 2010.  Further information about the seminar will be announced early next year.

Regards,
Ebe Kartus
ACOC Chair

For more general information about RDA please see the RDA website at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/jsc/index.html

Chris Todd

Chris (Christine) Todd
Team Leader, Cataloguing Team 1, Content Services,
National Library of New Zealand.

Telephone: (04) 474 3093
Fax:  (04) 474 3161
Email: chris.todd at natlib.govt.nz