[CatSIG] Marc of Quality cataloguing workshops 2010

Sarah McGuinness Sarah.McGuinness at natlib.govt.nz
Mon Aug 2 11:52:29 NZST 2010

We still have places available in these workshops, which take place from
August to October. Registration details are below.

If you are thinking about registering for Book Blitz 1 (29 August-3
Sep) could you please indicate your interest to CatSIG by the end of
this week.

Thanks,
Sarah McGuinness

MARC21 IN YOUR LIBRARY
This course is an introduction to MARC21 and how it is meant to work in
a library automation system. It explains what the MARC standards are and
how those standards tie in with our cataloguing rules (AACR) to help
cataloguers create data that will function effectively in a library
catalogue. Target audience: directors, reference people, acquisitions
people, copy cataloguers, beginning cataloguers, and experienced but
untrained cataloguers.

There are two discrete parts to MARC21 in your Library:

Part One of this course consists of a series of web-casts and web-based
mini-courses and covers the underlying fundamentals of MARC and
bibliographic information. Duration: approx. 5 hrs; presenter: D. Fritz;
site/dates: on-demand, anytime.

Click here to access the Part One modules (for free)
http://www.marcofquality.com/webinars/webm21.html

Part Two of this course consists of three modules, provided through a
traditional training session at a physical site and covers the core
codes that are most commonly found in MARC records, and their functions.
Duration: 1 day.

Auckland       13 October 2010   AUT University, room WF 214
Wellington     20 October 2010   Archives New Zealand conference room,
Murphy St.

Prices: CatSIG members $220  LIANZA members $270  Other $345

JUST FOR COPY CATS (2 Days)
Copy cataloguing is not the same as original cataloguing; it has its
own special procedures and guidelines to be followed. This workshop
provides an introduction to finding cataloguing records that you can
copy, explaining some of the more obvious challenges and some neglected
database issues, with a brief look at essential editing. You will need
to come to the Book Blitz (4 days) workshop to know how to do a really
superb job of editing records that you copy, but this workshop will get
you started in the basic principles of copy cataloguing. Recommended
prerequisites: MARC21 in Your Library. Target audience: acquisitions
people, copy cataloguers, beginning cataloguers, and experienced but
untrained cataloguers.

Auckland      14-15 October 2010   AUT University: 14th Oct: room WF
204; 15th Oct: room WF 614
Wellington    21-22 October 2010   Archives New Zealand conference
room, Murphy St.

Prices: CatSIG members $440  LIANZA members $540  Other $690

BOOK BLITZ I (4 Days)
As it has been said before "good cataloguing doesn't just happen". This
workshop gets right down to the details about how to make MARC records
that will work well in each and every MARC-based library automation
system out there. Recommended prerequisites: MARC21 in Your Library and
Just for Copy Cats. Target audience: Copy cataloguers, beginning
cataloguers, experienced but untrained cataloguers, and any cataloguers
curious about what they might learn.
Required text: “Cataloging with AACR2 and MARC21” by Deborah A.
Fritz.  Chicago: ALA, 2004. 0-8389-0884-5, approx. NZ$130.00 + $13.00
p&p (CatSIG can email you an order form)

Wellington    31 August -3 September     Weir House conference room,
Gladstone Tce, Kelburn.

Prices: CatSIG members $660  LIANZA members $810  Other $1035
**This is the last time this workshop will be offered at the current
low rate

BOOK BLITZ III (2 Days)
We will pick up some interesting loose ends that we were unable to
cover in either BBI or BBII, such as: what do I do with typos in
descriptive fields and when should I enter information as a subtitle vs
a statement of responsibility? Then we will move on to some slightly
more complex matters, concentrating primarily on the sources of
information, bibliographic description, and access points for single
works in m
ultiple units (e.g., multi-volume sets), multiple works in
single units (e.g., collections, with or without a collective title),
and multiple works in multiple units (e.g., monographic sets vs series).
We'll keep one eye on the future and use RDA (the next version of AACR)
and FRBR (the new approach to organizing your OPAC) terminology wherever
it is appropriate. Recommended prerequisites: Book Blitz I and Book
Blitz II.
Attendees are strongly advised to attend Book Blitz I and Book Blitz II
before coming to this workshop. Target audience: Intermediate
cataloguers, and experienced cataloguers needing training in this area.

Required text: “Cataloguing with AACR2 and MARC21” by Deborah A.
Fritz.  Chicago: ALA, 2004. 0-8389-0884-5, approx. NZ$130.00 + $13.00
p&p (CatSIG can email you an order form)

Dunedin   16-17 September 2010   University of Otago

Prices: CatSIG members $440  LIANZA members $540  Other $690

LCSH FOR BEGINNERS I  (2 Days)
Assigning good subject headings is a skill above and beyond basic
cataloguing know-how. This workshop will introduce you to the essential
principles of subject cataloguing using the Library of Congress Subject
Headings (LCSH). At the conclusion of this workshop, you should be able
to assign simple LC subject headings and check the appropriateness of
subject headings in records that you copy. No pre-requisites required.
Target audience: copy cataloguers, beginning cataloguers and experienced
but untrained cataloguers.
Required texts: 1. Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH)-Bring
vol. 1 of any recent ed. 2. Free-floating subdivisions (any recent ed.)

Auckland     12-13 October 2010    Waitemata Room Level 3, Central
Library, Lorne St, Auckland.

Wellington     19-20 October 2010    Weir House conference room,
Gladstone Tce, Kelburn.

Prices: CatSIG members $440  LIANZA members $540  Other $690

DEWEY DAZE I (2 Days)
If you do Dewey in your library, and need to brush up on the basics,
this workshop is for you. You'll learn how to find your way around the
schedules and tables to create call numbers that work. Using detailed
explanations and multiple examples we'll discuss and practice the proper
procedures for assigning commendable class numbers. No pre-requisites
required. Target audience: Copy cataloguers, beginning cataloguers and
experienced but untrained cataloguers.
Required text: DDC 22 (The Dewey books)

Auckland     14-15 October   Waitemata Room Level 3, Central Library,
Lorne St, Auckland.

Wellington  21-22 October   Weir House conference room, Gladstone Tce,
Kelburn.

Prices: CatSIG members $440  LIANZA members $540  Other $690

**Please note that all prices exclude GST**
**Workshops will be held only if sufficient number of attendees are
registered**

These are intensive courses, all designed to present the material in a
manner that will make it easier for participants to learn and develop
their cataloguing skills.
All the workshops (except LCSH for Beginners and Dewey Daze) are held
by Deborah Fritz, an international trainer with over 15 years of
experience. For more information about each course see
http://www.marcofquality.com/trn/trnindex.html

Please email enquiries and registrations to
Catsigcommittee at gmail.com

To register please fill out the following details:

Name/s:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
CatSIG or LIANZA membership number (if applicable and known):
(*An institutional LIANZA membership can be used for 1 participant per
workshop)

I/we will be attending (name of course and location):

Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided. Please let us
know if you have any dietary requirements.

Kind Regards
Sarah McGuinness
CatSIG Secretary