[CatSIG] Cataloguing study sponsorship
Janess.Stewart at natlib.govt.nz
Fri Feb 12 15:50:30 NZDT 2010
Are you thinking about studying in 2010? You may be currently completing a library qualification or looking for professional development opportunities.
For the second year running, CatSIG is offering a sponsorship opportunity in each of the following cataloguing courses:
***INFO 546 - Bibliographic Organisation
Creation of bibliographic records for library resources, including: original cataloguing using FRBR, RDA, AACR2, MARC, DDC and LCSH; evaluation of bibliographic utilities as sources for copy cataloguing; next-generation catalogues; and managing cataloguing operations. Course runs in Trimester 2 (July to October) 2010 at Victoria University, Wellington. Students can study on campus or by distance.
This paper can be completed as part of the Master of Information Studies or Postgraduate Diploma/Certificate of Information Studies programmes, or as a single Certificate of Proficiency (COP). The COP is suitable for
* graduate librarians and information professionals wishing to update their professional knowledge, or extend it into fresh areas of information management.
* graduates who are considering entry to the profession and want to experience postgraduate learning.
Acceptance is dependent on applicants holding a university degree/appropriate library qualification or extensive experience.
For more information about the course see
For more information about the Information Studies programmes, including enrolment information:
CatSIG sponsorship will cover the tuition fee (domestic: $992.25)
***72272 Cataloguing and Classification
This course builds on and enhances library skills by introducing you to the principles and practice of cataloguing and classification. It is designed to enable you to apply international standards in the creation of catalogue records. You will also be able to analyse the international standards and to develop a critical understanding of the contemporary issues affecting cataloguing and catalogue management. This course is run by the Open Polytechnic from July 2010 and is a distance learning course.
For more information see
Pre-requisites: 72171 Library Systems and Processes or equivalent knowledge and experience.
CatSIG sponsorship will cover the tuition fee (New Zealand: $588.00)
* You do not have to be a CatSIG member to apply for sponsorship.
* CatSIG cannot guarantee entry to these courses. Our selection of a student is conditional on their acceptance into either course. Applicants must ensure they have the correct pre-requisites before applying.
* CatSIG will confirm sponsorship to the successful applicant when they have been selected for the course. The applicant will have responsibility for their own enrolment and acceptance into the course and the initial fees payment. CatSIG will reimburse the full tuition fee when it can be shown that the applicant has completed and passed the course.
In your application to CatSIG (1-2 paragraphs) please state which course you are applying for, give a brief outline of your background and work experience, and how completing the desired cataloguing paper would benefit you professionally.
Please email applications and enquiries to Janess.Stewart at natlib.govt.nz
Applications close 31 March 2010.
Serials Cataloguing Team
National Library of New Zealand
email: janess.stewart at natlib.govt.nz
Search indexes to a range of New Zealand
newspapers and journals at:
More information about the CatSIG