Getting Help, FAQ
COMP102/112: Getting Help and the FAQTopics: Forum, FAQ, Getting online help, Videos
Lab Tutors and Help DeskYour first source for help with the course should be the tutors in your weekly labs, the tutor at the scheduled help desk (see the Weekly Timetable), and the online tutor (see below)
Asking for help from online tutorTo ask for help from the tutors on a problem with your code, submit your request on the comp102 help system (put your question in the box, attach your file, and click "Create Ticket") or email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your code to the email.
Make sure that:
- You have attached your .java files (not the .class or .ctxt or the project.bluej files)
- You have explained what the problem is and what you have tried to do to solve it so far.
Note: We don't have the resources to do a general check of your code - you have to check it yourself by running your code and checking that it does all the things required in the assignment specification.
FAQWe plan to build up a list of answers to common problems that we see repeatedly:
- Differences between the text book and using the UI class
- Instructions for installing the software to do your assignments at home.
- Problems using BlueJ at home
- Methods that return booleans
- Dealing with Null Pointer Exceptions
- How to run demo if your demo folder disappeared
- Can you run the demo at home?
- Video recordings of the lectures are available through Blackboard: Use the link in the menu bar and then click on ‘VStream Videos’ in the course menu.
- Tutorial videos covering a variety of topics.
Study BuddyWe allow students to work in pairs as long as you add a comment in your source code who you worked with.
In 2022 we can help you find a study buddy using this form This is informal and not registered, so please still add a comment that you worked together in your assignment.
Other sources of help:
- The COMP102/112 workshop sessions: Tue, 5-7 in AM 103 (weeks 3-6) or VZ506 (weeks 7-12)
- The 1st year Engineering/CompSci workshop sessions: Mon, Wed, 5:30-8 in CO 118/119
- Māori hub and student support.
- Pasifika hub and student support.
- VUW Student Learning
- Web page of many VUW student support services
- Student Counselling.
- VUW Study Resources,
- Helpful booklets on many study topics