SWEN 301 (2020) - Structured MethodsThis course introduces the processes, practices, and tools required to engineer medium to large software systems. Topics include software craft, architecture, design, implementation, testing, maintenance, quality assurance, configuration management, and open source development. Practical work will use integrated development environments, automation, and domain-specific languages.
IMPORTANT: ALL TEACHING HAS BEEN SUSPENDED, THIS INCLUDES LECTURES, ASSESSMENTS, HELPDESKS, LABS. IT IS EXPECTED THAT TEACHING WILL RESUME ON 28 APRIL. I WILL RESPOND TO EMAILS AND FORUM MESSAGES. STAY SAFE! -JENS
- Labs will start in week 3. Labs are highly recommended as they will help you with the assessments. However, attendance is not mandatory.
- In the beginning, we will only use the Monday and the Thursday lecture slots. Depending on progress, there is the option to also use the scheduled Tuesday lecture slot. If this is the case, I will announce this on the forum and in the lectures.
- Office hours are after the lectures on Mondays and Thursdays, or by appointment.
- I expect that everybody follows forum posts, important communication will be done via the forum. Please do use the forum to get answers to technical problems, clarifications etc. However, if you are uncomfortable with this, please do approach me or one of the tutors for more personal help.
- All lectures will be recorded.
- All lecture notes are available in electronic form, but as they are hosted on Google Docs, there could be problems accessing them in China. I will produce PDF versions of the documents and attach them to the wiki before the respective lectures start (as I might still do some minor modifications).
- We can organise online help sessions for students in China using chat rooms with shared screens. Please contact Jens if you want to do this. The platform we will use for this is zoom that should work in China. Otherwise please use the forum and email to get help.
- We do appreciate suggestions and feedback by students affected by this.
Welcome to the SWEN301 Forum
Assignmentssee assignments for details
- Course Outline - The official course requirements document. You are strongly encouraged to read this
- Lecture Schedule - Who, What, Where and When: Lectures, Labs, Assignments, Tests, etc.
- People - Who's who? Teachers, tutors and class reps!
- Online Submission System - Where to submit stuff
- Online Assignment Marks - Where to find out your marks
- Reading List - Textbooks and other stuff
- Forum - A discussion forum for questions/comments on the course material
- Blackboard - including EchoCentre for course videos.
- Student Information - ECS and VUW rules, policies, and where to get help
- Technical Support - ECS's techsupport