Assignments:Assignment 1 (RDM and ER) (due week 5, Friday, 26 March, 23:59 pm): + 3 late days)
Projects:Project 1 (SQL) (due Week 7) SWEN439_Project2.pdf
Essay:You will write an essay on No-SQL databases. Your essay topic can be A Survey of NoSQL databases. The essay should be around 1500 - 2000 words (3000 word limit), and is due at the end of the term: 8 June. Please submit your essay in pdf. Your essay should include references to support your statement. and arguments. 1) The structure of the essay will discuss:
- The problem/issue
- Describe the problem/issue/limitation that NoSQL databases are trying to address
- Explain why it matters - where does the problem arise in practice.
- Describe different families of NoSQL databases
- Explain the solutions presented by each of the families
- highlighting the similarities and differences between the families
- Discuss the limitations of each of the families - what they don't solve yet.
- Briefly outline how the limitations are addressed by any other databases, if any.
- Summarise the state of the art of NoSQL databases, saying what can be done now, and what issues are still open for future research.
1. NoSQL Evaluation - Use Case-oriented Survey
2. Can the elephants handle the NoSQL onslaught?
3. History repeats itself: sensible and NonsenSQL aspects of the NoSQL hoopla
4. Cassandra - The NoSQL Column Store used by Facebook (https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1773922)
5. MongoDB - The popular NoSQL Document Store (https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4302-3052-6_1)
6. Uniform Access to NoSQL Database Systems (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306437913000719)
7. Benchmarking Scalability and Elasticity of NoSQL Database Systems
NuoDB - A popular NewSQL Database System (see also here)
If any of the links above do not work please google the paper and you should be able to find it easily.
- Instruction on using_PostgreSQL on stations in ECS labs Using_PostgreSQL_onStation.pdf
- To access PostgreSQL from home:remoteAccess_PostgreSQL.pdf
- PostgreSQL Documentation, especially CREATE TABLE and SELECT
- The Java tutorial http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/technical/java/tutorial/index.html
- Work from Home: https://ecs.wgtn.ac.nz/Support/TechNoteWorkingFromHome