SWEN 501 (2023) - Home Page
Welcome to SWEN 501
This course is the first course on the Master of Software Development programme. Students will learn to design, read, write and debug small programs and work on larger software projects within groups while applying software development methodologies and tools. The course will be taught as an intensive full time block over five weeks from July 10–August 13.
There are a few things that you need to know.
1. Direction and Access: Note change of location!
The course takes place at the Pipitea campus
, in Rutherford House, room 439. This is the glass-walled room directly adjacent to the elevators on the fourth floor. Rutherford House is in the central city, next to the bus terminal, across the road from the train station (connected by a tunnel), and diagonally opposite the Parliamentary complex.
On the first day you can access the facilities from 09:30 onwards without a student ID card.
A student swipe card will be required for the Master of Software Development room (RH439). You can collect your ID card from Hunter 103 on the Kelburn campus after submitting a photo and other details to the office
4. Teaching hours etc.
- If you are unwell, stay home until you are well, and contact the lecturer as soon as possible to let them know you won't be there.
- We will accommodate for absences and missed time (including at the beginning, if you can't make day 1) - keep yourself and your classmates safe.
- If you have COVID-19, you are legally required to isolate for 7 days, and should stay home until you are fully recovered. Don't try to keep up on the class while you're sick.
- General university information on other support and health services is available here.
- To keep the air circulating, windows in the room will be kept open - it may be a little cold and you may like to bring a jacket.
- We may need to adapt to changing circumstances during the course and the year, so it is possible that some aspects may change at short notice. We will advise by email if anything happens out of hours.
- In general, class will be on Mon-Thu 10-4. Teaching will occur at times within this period, but there are no set times - this will depend on the exercise at hand.
- Friday from 10:00-12:00 is dedicated for industry engagement & seminars.
- There are no set seating plans and places; indeed, we will move you around to ensure this doesn’t happen.
- You will be issued with a loaner laptop. This will need to be returned near the end of the program. If you want to bring and use your own, you are welcome to do so.
- We sometimes use videos as part of the teaching. Please bring headphones so that you can watch them without being disturbed by others, and vice-versa.
- All connections are wifi and there is a printer/photocopier/scanner available for your use.
See you all 10/07.