Meetings for 2021
Regular weekly group meetings take place every Thursday between noon and 1 PM in CO431
. Please JoinUs
by subscribing to our mailing list to stay up to date: https://ecs.wgtn.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/spg
. Please contact Jens Dietrich
(or any other member) if you are interested to give a talk.
Most meetings will run in dual mode, and on zoom using this zoom room
unless advised otherwise.
- 30 September John Grundy (Monash University, Australia) on Impact of end user human aspects on software engineering SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 24 June Patrick Lam (University of Waterloo, Canada) on Knowing Your Software SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 10 June Kirita-Rose Escott on "Dynamic Workflow Scheduling in Cloud Computing"
- 3 June Marco Servetto, on "Caching in 42"
- 27 May Thomas Kühne "ProVis-- A Visual Notation for Declarative Behaviour Specification"
- 27 May Jeremy Ginsberg on The Making of Google Flu Trends SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 21 May Thong Kuah (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 20 May Patrick Lam will give an introduction into the soot static analysis framework
- 14 May Thong Kuah (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 13 May Hui Ma on "Web Service Composition"
- 7 May Charlie Ablett (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 6 May Craig Anslow on "Why Do Programmers Do What They Do? A Theory of Influences on Security Practices (USEC 2021 talk)" (details), followed by Marco Servetto talking about his programming language 42 in SWEN431 in EA206 at 14:10
- 29 April Jens Dietrich, on "Fuzzing web applications"
- 22 April canceled / postponed
- 15 April David Pearce on "QuickCheck for Whiley"
- 8 April Alex Potanin on "Quo Vadis PL -- Update on recent discussions on virtual conferences and rankings within SIGPLAN" , joint session with Bernhard Scholz from UoSydney on future plans for SAPLING and the Australasian PL Community via zoom
- 1 April Discussion of curriculum-related issues
- 25 March Rob O’Callahan (Pernosco) on "The Future of Debugging". SI^NZ seminar organised by SPG, note the changed time: 3PM ! Also via Zoom and in CO431
- 19 March Charlie Ablett (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 18 March James Noble: ACSW21 keynote
- 11 March Erin Greenwood-Thessman on "Daddala: Implementing a Simple Capability-Based Design for Data Race Freedom into Moth" (or: "Daddala: A wooden horse as a moth")
- 4 March Julian Mackay on "Holistic Specifications", zoom option
- 25 February Start of the year social. We want to know what you did last summer! Then at 3 PM social watching in CO431 of SI^NZ Seminar by Robert Biddle (Carleton University Canada) on "Clickety-Click: Improving Collaborative Software Development" via zoom
- 18 February Regev Benita on the "IQL Input Query Language"
- 11 February Isaac Oscar Gariano on "Hybridly Typed Retroactive Polymorphism"
- 4 February Informal Kick-Off
Meetings for 2020
- 11th December. Patrick Lam, Software Engineering at Waterloo - talk on how the software engineering programme works at Waterloo.
- 13th November. Jens Dietrich on "Flattening the Cube -- composite linear approximations of the reachability kernel in directed graphs, work inspired by (how to overcome) the cubic bottleneck in static program analysis".
- 6th November. Erin Greenwood-Thessman, topic tba.
- 30th October. Andreea Costea from NSU on "ROBoSuSLik: Concise Read-Only Specifications for Better Synthesis of Programs with Pointers".
- 23rd October. no talk -- end of trimester recess
- 16th October. no talk -- end of trimester recess
- 9th October. Alex Potanin and Marco Servetto on "Confidentiality-by-Construction in Object-Oriented Languages" (joint work with Tobias Runge and Ina Schäfer), tentative: drinks after work, 3PM Kelburn Village Pub.
- 2nd October. James Noble, on "Holstic Specifications - or w*# has james been doing for the last few years."
- 25th September. Soheila Sadeghiram on "A distance-based Genetic algorithm for robust data-intensive Web service composition in dynamic bandwidth environment."
- 18th September. David Pearce on "Functional Reactive Programming of Web Applications in Whiley" (with some live programming!) (video)
- 11th September. Research Awareness Day
- 4th September. Social Lunch in the Kelburn Village Pub starting at 1PM.
- 28th August. Thomas Kühne on "Unifying Nominal and Structural Typing for Modelling Open World Scenarios"
- 21st August. Craig Anslow on "Visualizing Progress Tracking for Software Teams on Large Collaborative Touch Displays" (details)
- 14th August. Patrick Lam on "Putting the Semantics into Semantic Versioning" (details)
- 7th August. Marco Servetto on 42 library design, using an example of the Unit of measures library
- 31st July. Shawn Rasheed (Massey) on Static and Hybrid Program Analysis to detect Deserialization and Parser Vulnerabilities.
- 24th July. ENGR489 Presentations: Lavanya Sajwan on "Why Do Programmers Do What They Do? A Theory of Influences on Security Practices", Jack Hazlehurst on "Incremental Static Analysis for Regression Test Analysis" and Philip Oliver on "Incremental Compilation Workloads".
- 10th July. no meeting (mid trimester break, marking etc, ICSE)
- 3rd July. no meeting (mid trimester break, marking etc)
- 26th June. Alex Potanin on Effects
- 19th June. Alex Potanin on Wyvern
- 12th June. Julian Mackay on "Syntactic Subsets for Decidable Bounded Polymorphism". [slides]
- 5th June. Jens Dietrich on "Fuzzing Web Applications"
- 29th May. David Pearce on "Fuzz Testing AVR Microcontrollers"
- 22th May. No speaker
- 15th May. Summer Internship at RocketLabs, Nick Webster