Regular weekly group meetings take place every Thursday between 1 and 2 PM
. Please JoinUs
by subscribing to our mailing list
to stay up to date. By default, meetings will run in dual mode, and on zoom
unless advised otherwise.
Please contact Jens Dietrich
(or any other member) if you are interested to give a talk.
Meetings for 2022
- 27 October David Pearce (ConsenSys) on "Formal Verification of Smart Contracts" (TBC)
- 27 October Dr Diana Kirk (University of Auckland) on "Code Style Principles for Programming Educators and Practitioners" SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 25 August Fabian Gilson (University of Canterbury) on "Model-Driven Engineering for Agile Software Development." SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 11 August Jens Dietrich on "Refactoring for Provenance".
- 4 August Hon project presentations -- Emanuel Events on "Detection of Shaded Library Dependencies" and Nick Mazey on "Benchmarking Null Checkers".
- 28 July Thomas Kühne (VUW) on "Digital Twins". SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 21 July Julian Mackay on "Necessity Specifications"
- 7 July Marco Servetto on "How becoming a youtuber changed my life (it did not)"
- 30 June Tony Bastin Roy Savarimuthu (University of Otago). Title TBD SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 16 June Elliott Wen (University of Auckland), on "WebAssembly: Past, Present, and Future".
- 9 June David Eyers (University of Otago) on "Security engineering for accountable cloud computing.".
- 26 May Dinner and Drinks at the Spring and Fern Tavern in Thornton, starting at 6PM.
- 26 May Tony Clear (Auckland University of Technology) on "Do Scaling Agile Frameworks Address Risk in Global Software Development? An Empirical Study". SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 19 May Thomas Bryan on My Life Technology how it can be a game changer - Global Accessibility Day (SWEN303 Guest Lecture), note the different time 2-3 PM and zoom room
- 19 May David Pearce on "Whiley: Past, Present and Future"
- 12 May Jack Purvis on Usability Testing Tools in Practice (SWEN303 Guest Lecture), note the different time 2-3 PM and zoom room
- 5 May Philip Oliver on "Improving Automated Crash Reproduction" (ICSE doctoral symposium talk)
- 28 April Daniel Alencar da Costa (University of Otago) on "The promises and downsides of Continuous Integration" SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room.
- 21 April Jens Dietrich on "Inferring Nullability Annotations"
- 7 April Jan Feld on "Gender Differences in Programming Skills"
- 31 March Valerio Terragni (University of Auckland) on "Leveraging Evolutionary Computation To Automate Test Oracle Generation and Improvement". SI^NZ Seminar, note the different time 3-4 PM and zoom room. This is in CO431 and on zoom. More details here.
- 24 March Thomas Kühne on "Digital Twins"
- 10 March Tim McNamara (Senior Software Architect, TCDI, Author: Rust in Action) on "Creating a successful software project: lessons from Rust"
- 3 March Software Teaching Group Meeting with Dean (SWEN Staff only)
- 25 February Cyber+SWEN lunch at Milk & Honey at noon.
- 24 February SI^NZ Seminar by Marco Servetto (VUW) on "Forty2: Enforcing modular security" via zoom at 3PM (note different time!)
- 17 February Planning for 2022 (staff only)
Meetings for 2021
- 9 December We are organising a Software Innovation NZ Workshop on Testing and Program Analysis -- this will happen 9AM-12PM on zoom, please contact Jens Dietrich if you are interested to participate. Confirmed speakers (in alphabetical order): Kelly Blincoe (Auckland), Jens Dietrich (Victoria), Fabian Gilson (Canterbury), Philip Oliver (Victoria), Shawn Rasheed (Massey), Valerio Terrangi (Auckland).
- 25 November James Noble on "Gradual concurrency: correctness, simplicity, and performance via dynamic ownership"
- 18 November Patrick Lam (University of Waterloo, Canada) on "Surveying Java Libraries' API Surfaces: Patterns of Use and Misuse". Lunch after presentation to welcome new RA/ summer scholarship holders, dinner/drinks after work to farewell Patrick
- 11 November James Quilty on "Progress on the Engineering Observatory"
- 4 November Alex Potanin on "Traits for Correctness by Construction" (joint work with Marco Servetto )
- 28 October Daniela Damian (University of Victoria, Canada) on Co-innovation and software engineering in open software platform ecosystems SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 21 October Robert Biddle (Carleton University, Canada) -- Programming Language as a Language (joint work with James Noble)
- 15 October ENGR489 - Honours Project Presentations (organised by ECS)
- 14 October PL/SE Honours Project Presentations - rehearsals. Speakers (supervisors) times: Rowan Rathod (Alex) 11:05 , Dominic Tjiptono (Alex) 11:15, Justine Micaela Lim-Ranola (Marco) 11:25, Caitlin Goodger (James Q) 11:40.
- 7 October Jens Dietrich on "New Ideas to deal with Test Flakiness"
- 30 September John Grundy (Monash University, Australia) on Impact of end user human aspects on software engineering SINZ Seminar Series @ 3PM (note the different time !!) in CO431.
- 30 September (normal time 11 AM) -- staff only meeting with Pondy to consult with group about upcoming ECS restructuring.
- 23 September David Pearce on "Understanding Rust (Formally Speaking)" (from Dave's recent TOPLAS paper).
- 16 September Meeting cancelled due to VC visit.
- 9 September Discussion on teaching and resourcing for 2022.
- 2 September Gary T. Leavens (University of Central Florida) on "JML: Expressive Contracts, Specification Inheritance, and Behavioral Subtyping" (Slides)
- 26 August Philip Oliver on "Test case generation for crash reproduction"
- 19 August meeting cancelled due to lockdown
- 12 August Marco Servetto on "New Ideas on Software Verification (without 42 !)"
- 6 August 12:00 PM - 12:50 PM. Daniel Britten (University of Waikato) on "Towards foundational smart contract verification" (Note the changed day -- this is on Friday, room and zoom as usual !)
- 29 July Nick Cameron on the "Rust Programming Language" SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431, or on zoom (note the different zoom id)
- 22 July Jens Dietrich on "Automating Marking with YAMF"
- 15 July David Pearce on "DevOopsing the Whiley Project!"
- 24 June Mid Winter Social @ 6 PM , postponed due to COVID alert level 2 in Wellington !
- 24 June Patrick Lam (University of Waterloo, Canada) on Knowing Your Software SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 10 June Kirita-Rose Escott on "Dynamic Workflow Scheduling in Cloud Computing"
- 3 June Marco Servetto, on "How to program in Java without 'new', 'class' and 'static'"
- 27 May Thomas Kühne on "ProVis-- A Visual Notation for Declarative Behaviour Specification"*
- 27 May Jeremy Ginsberg on The Making of Google Flu Trends SINZ Seminar Series @ 3pm in CO431
- 21 May Thong Kuah (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 20 May Patrick Lam will give an introduction into the soot static analysis framework*
- 14 May Thong Kuah (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 13 May Hui Ma on "Web Service Composition"
- 7 May Charlie Ablett (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 6 May Craig Anslow on "Why Do Programmers Do What They Do? A Theory of Influences on Security Practices (USEC 2021 talk)" (details), followed by Marco Servetto talking about his programming language 42 in SWEN431 in EA206 at 14:10
- 29 April Jens Dietrich, on "Fuzzing web applications"
- 22 April canceled / postponed
- 15 April David Pearce on "QuickCheck for Whiley"
- 8 April Alex Potanin on "Quo Vadis PL -- Update on recent discussions on virtual conferences and rankings within SIGPLAN" , joint session with Bernhard Scholz from UoSydney on future plans for SAPLING and the Australasian PL Community via zoom
- 1 April Discussion of curriculum-related issues
- 25 March Rob O’Callahan (Pernosco) on "The Future of Debugging". SI^NZ seminar organised by SPG, note the changed time: 3PM ! Also via Zoom and in CO431
- 19 March Charlie Ablett (GitLab) on GitLab -- Special ENGR301 lecture SPG members can attend at 12 PM in HULT323. Also via Zoom
- 18 March James Noble: ACSW21 keynote
- 11 March Erin Greenwood-Thessman on "Daddala: Implementing a Simple Capability-Based Design for Data Race Freedom into Moth" (or: "Daddala: A wooden horse as a moth")
- 4 March Julian Mackay on "Holistic Specifications", zoom option
- 25 February Start of the year social. We want to know what you did last summer! Then at 3 PM social watching in CO431 of SI^NZ Seminar by Robert Biddle (Carleton University Canada) on "Clickety-Click: Improving Collaborative Software Development" via zoom
- 18 February Regev Benita on the "IQL Input Query Language"
- 11 February Isaac Oscar Gariano on "Hybridly Typed Retroactive Polymorphism"
- 4 February Informal Kick-Off
Meetings for 2020
- 11th December. Patrick Lam, Software Engineering at Waterloo - talk on how the software engineering programme works at Waterloo.
- 13th November. Jens Dietrich on "Flattening the Cube -- composite linear approximations of the reachability kernel in directed graphs, work inspired by (how to overcome) the cubic bottleneck in static program analysis".
- 6th November. Erin Greenwood-Thessman, topic tba.
- 30th October. Andreea Costea from NSU on "ROBoSuSLik: Concise Read-Only Specifications for Better Synthesis of Programs with Pointers".
- 23rd October. no talk -- end of trimester recess
- 16th October. no talk -- end of trimester recess
- 9th October. Alex Potanin and Marco Servetto on "Confidentiality-by-Construction in Object-Oriented Languages" (joint work with Tobias Runge and Ina Schäfer), tentative: drinks after work, 3PM Kelburn Village Pub.
- 2nd October. James Noble, on "Holstic Specifications - or w*# has james been doing for the last few years."
- 25th September. Soheila Sadeghiram on "A distance-based Genetic algorithm for robust data-intensive Web service composition in dynamic bandwidth environment."
- 18th September. David Pearce on "Functional Reactive Programming of Web Applications in Whiley" (with some live programming!) (video)
- 11th September. Research Awareness Day
- 4th September. Social Lunch in the Kelburn Village Pub starting at 1PM.
- 28th August. Thomas Kühne on "Unifying Nominal and Structural Typing for Modelling Open World Scenarios"
- 21st August. Craig Anslow on "Visualizing Progress Tracking for Software Teams on Large Collaborative Touch Displays" (details)
- 14th August. Patrick Lam on "Putting the Semantics into Semantic Versioning" (details)
- 7th August. Marco Servetto on 42 library design, using an example of the Unit of measures library
- 31st July. Shawn Rasheed (Massey) on Static and Hybrid Program Analysis to detect Deserialization and Parser Vulnerabilities.
- 24th July. ENGR489 Presentations: Lavanya Sajwan on "Why Do Programmers Do What They Do? A Theory of Influences on Security Practices", Jack Hazlehurst on "Incremental Static Analysis for Regression Test Analysis" and Philip Oliver on "Incremental Compilation Workloads".
- 10th July. no meeting (mid trimester break, marking etc, ICSE)
- 3rd July. no meeting (mid trimester break, marking etc)
- 26th June. Alex Potanin on Effects
- 19th June. Alex Potanin on Wyvern
- 12th June. Julian Mackay on "Syntactic Subsets for Decidable Bounded Polymorphism". [slides]
- 5th June. Jens Dietrich on "Fuzzing Web Applications"
- 29th May. David Pearce on "Fuzz Testing AVR Microcontrollers"
- 22th May. No speaker
- 15th May. Summer Internship at RocketLabs, Nick Webster